Faculty Share Their Teaching Insights and Resources

Learning Innovation hosted an annual teaching event for new faculty titled “What I Wish I Had Known About Teaching (at Duke).” A panel of award-winning faculty discussed teaching pedagogy and approaches ranging from inclusive teaching, active learning, and team-based learning. Highlights from the event are available at Duke Today – see “Five Things to Know About Great Teaching.”

Faculty panelists (Left to Right) Jules Odendahl-James, PhD, Len White, PhD, and Minna Ng, PhD.

The three faculty panelists were:

• Minna Ng, PhD, is the faculty director for the David M. Rubenstein Scholars Program, as well as Assistant Professor of the Practice in Psychology and Neuroscience;
  • Jules Odendahl-James, PhD, is the Director of Academic Engagement for the Arts & Humanities, as well as a Lecturer in Theater Studies; and
  • Len White, PhD is an Associate Professor in Neurology, as well as the Associate Director of the Duke Institute for Brain Sciences.

The faculty panelists shared important resources to support students including:

Participants ask teaching questions during open Q&A

Faculty attended from many Duke departments and programs, including the humanities, social sciences, engineering, and science.

Kusum Knapczyk, PhD, a Lecturer of Hindi Language of Asian and Middle Eastern Studies shared her thoughts:

“I would like to thank Learning Innovation for organizing this kind of relaxed and informal talk. I learned a lot about Duke teaching and practices from the speakers. It made me think that I am not alone when I have questions with my day-to-day teaching.”

Engage with Learning Innovation! 

Explore faculty opportunities, see resources for faculty New to Duke, and attend one of our Events and Programs. Contact Learning Innovation to find out how we partner with faculty on teaching initiatives and programs.